indolence is bliss

Sunday, January 17, 2010

top ten movies of the aughties

It’s a bit overdue, but to commemorate the launch of the Awards Season (the time between the Golden Globes and Academy Awards), I offer my Top Ten Movies of the Aughties (2000-2009) List. Just to make it more interesting, I’ll choose the best movie of each year between 2000 and 2009. By no conscious design, the first five are by European directors and the last five are by American directors. A trend in world film?

2000
Gladiator
For some reason, most people I know dismiss this movie as popcorn fare. I don’t understand the lack of esteem: this film is thrilling, chilling, spectacular, and superbly written and acted. (Russell Crowe vs. Joaquin Phoenix! Even Connie Nielsen holds her own.) It even won Best Picture. I think this is by far Ridley Scott’s best film.

Honorable Mention
You Can Count On Me

Laura Linney is one of my favorite actresses, and this movie is why. Simple, conventional story, about as far as one can get from Gladiator and still be a recognizably American movie. Like the Academy, all other things being equal, I favor epics over chamber drama – otherwise this might be my pick for Best of 2000.
2001
Amélie
I find it hard to be objective about Amélie, one of my favorite films of all time. In my defense, people are not likely to watch Memento or Mulholland Drive more than once (well, maybe the latter, if only to try to figure out what the hell is going on), but Amélie is both feel good and quirky enough to keep you coming back for more.
2002
Hable con ella
The peak of Almodovar’s career (so far), a more mature film than some of his previous and subsequent efforts.
2003
Dogville
The brilliance of von Trier’s achievement here can only be compared to one other directorial tour-de-force: von Trier’s Breaking the Waves. You’ve got to admire the bravado required to make a three-hour movie out of nothing but dialogue and Nicole Kidman. Lars von Trier is the ultimate iconoclast director, yet, like Truffaut retains an ability to connect with your emotions in ways mere Dogme could not.

Honorable Mention
Underworld

Kate Beckinsale in leather. With fangs. ‘Nuf said.

2004
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Although not my favorite, Eternal Sunshine still gets my vote for the best movie of the Aughties. If Amélie is a feel-good movie with enough quirkiness to keep it interesting, Eternal Sunshine is a movie about quirkiness with enough heart to leave a lasting impression.

Honorable Mention
Million Dollar Baby

I actually like Million Dollar Baby more than Eternal Sunshine, and that’s saying a lot, considering I love Eternal Sunshine and Million Dollar Baby is not exactly a likeable film. One of the most potent Hollywood movies of the Aughties; certainly one of the most depressing.
2005
Thank You For Smoking
To be honest, while I’ve seen several good movies from 2005 (Batman Begins, Serenity, Wedding Crashers), I’ve yet to watch a great one. Thank You For Smoking is at least not as formulaic as the others. Less formulaic than Juno, at any rate.
2006
300
In 2006, we had, on the one hand, the sober Germanic ethical quandaries The Lives of Others and After the Wedding, and, on the other, the jingoistic testosterone orgies 300 and Casino Royale. When done well, as was the case with all four of these films, I like both genres equally well, and it’s very difficult to compare movies across such disparate genres. If I have to pick one, I’d say 300, because it is so visually fresh.
2007
Superbad
Best Teen Comedy of all time, and with the exception of the TV shows The Office (the BBC version) and Arrested Development the Best Comedy of the Aughties. I find most teen comedies these days unwatchable, but this is one of the only two or three movies where I was actually laughing uncontrollably in the theater.

Honorable Mention
Ratatouille

The best way to describe this is a Pixar movie almost exclusively geared towards adults. If you are a foodie, this is a must-own movie. Even though I hardly know how to cook, I find myself liking this movie more with every viewing. I got it for free with my Blu-ray player, but I’ve watched it more than any of the Blu-rays I actually paid for (including Up and Cars).
2008
Speed Racer
If you thought Slumdog was a sweet confection, stay far away from Speed Racer. If you like film noir, or Mad Men, stay far, far away from Speed Racer. If you don’t appreciate 60’s Japanese pop culture, stay… Some say the movie is merely eye candy with deep flaws; after repeated viewings I see it as a near-perfect realization of a concept whose target audience is not much larger than the set of people whose last names rhyme with Lebowski. Does that make it modern art?

2009
Star Trek
2009 having just ended, with many of its movies not yet out on video, I cannot yet say what was the best movie of 2009. But the best movie I’ve seen from 2009 so far is without a doubt Star Trek. It hits all the right notes and pulls all the right strings, and, along with Up, has the best first 5-10 minutes I’ve seen in a long time. In a single year, Pixar and J. J. Abrams give us two of the finest examples of short-form storytelling in the history of Hollywood. Too bad Up can’t sustain it for the rest of the movie.

Labels:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2000: Ridley Scott has a pretty impressive filmography. Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down out of about 20 movies made. I would pick Blade Runner as his best, but its closer than I thought.

2004: Though I liked it a lot, I thought Eternal Sunshine was brutally depressing, so I'd be nervous to see Million Dollar Baby if its the downer of the two.

-b

6:10 PM

 
Blogger 1600 Squirrels said...

Eternal Sunshine is a feel-good comedy compared to Million Dollar Baby.

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Ning said...

Scaled the GFW of China, finally..

"Cars", "Cars", what about this great movie that makes me miss the US so much.

5:43 AM

 
Blogger 1600 Squirrels said...

I like Cars a lot, but I guess it's just a bit too conventional to make my ten greatest list. It is one of the ten movies of the last decade I own on Blu-ray, so I guess that counts for something.

9:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home