indolence is bliss

Thursday, June 25, 2009

what i'm liking lately

You probably know by now that I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to recent Hollywood movies.

I wasn't always this way — I thought 1999 was a stellar year for Hollywood even before 1999 ended — but I do believe a paint-by-numbers approach has been on the rise in Hollywood over the last decade. Between the milked-to-death Marvel properties, cheerleading movies, and entire genre of zombie horror movies, it feels like a rehash of the Reagan era. (Notice the comeback of the 80s trademark musical montage?)

But just as the 80s were not a total loss (after all, I just bought Amadeus for the third time), some recent films stand out from the pack. While not quite classics, these are still influential, effective, and, most importantly, great entertainment.

Slumdog Millionaire

I'll get this one out of the way first. IMO, one of only three Best Picture Oscar winners this decade to deserve the award (I'll leave you to guess which I think are the other two). Nothing special in terms of script or acting, Slumdog has two virtuoso performances: that of cinematography and scoring. In perfect harmony, both sight and sound are simultaneously cutting edge and yet by virtue of their mastery instantly classic. But I've seen plenty of beautifully-shot, wonderful-sounding movies with weak plots and characterizations that left me cold. So who do we look to when the whole is greater than the parts? The director, Danny Boyle. I found Trainspotting mildly amusing. 28 Days Later did nothing for me. Slumdog is a masterpiece.

Ghost Town

Other than the always compelling Ricky Gervais, this movie only deserves mention for one scene. For the most literal exposition of comedic timing I've yet seen on film, look for Gervais' interchange with Kristen Wiig when he goes back to the hospital suspecting something went wrong with his surgery. Brilliant.

Phoebe in Wonderland

While the story, script, and direction are formulaic, again there is one scene in the middle - if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I thought Dakota Fanning was a once-in-a-generation child actress, but I'm happy to say I was very wrong - her younger sister Elle is devastating. To think, we once thought the world of Shirley Temple just because she could sing, dance, and mug - all poorly. What are they feeding kids these days?

Labels:

Post a Comment

<< Home