amazon rant
So Amazon showed the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM in stock today, available for immediate order. Yet, they have not begun to process my order, placed over 7 weeks ago. As usual with out-of-stock items, Amazon listed it as "first come, first served." Yet I can order one today, and according to their shipping estimate, it will arrive at least as soon as the one I ordered in March.
Last year, I ordered a EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX lens from Amazon. The 10-22 had decentered optical elements, which leads to blurry pictures, while the Sigma had a hair/fiber stuck between the elements. Of course, it's possible both were Canon's fault, but I also ordered three lenses from Adorama that year, and all were flawless (as far as Adorama was concerned - one had a flawed design, but that's Canon's fault). I had formerly considered Adorama customer service pushy and disorganized, but given a choice between brusque service and defective lenses (or not getting the lens at all), I choose Adorama.
I sent Amazon three emails around noon asking for this to be cleared up, and have not heard back from them yet. If I don't get clarification by tomorrow noon, they will have lost me as a customer for photographic products.
Costco has said before that they will not carry a product unless they feel they can provide superior value to shoppers. Amazon could learn something from their management.
Labels: Photography

Post a Comment
<< Home