indolence is bliss

Friday, May 02, 2008

next!

Here's a comparison chart for the noise performance of the F100fd compared to various point-n-shoot and DSLRs I've recently owned:

apples to apples to apples to apples to orange

(Click on the chart to go to Flickr, where you can see the full size.)

With the Fuji F100fd settled on (crossing my fingers it keeps working for a while), I'll be getting back to the DSLR business. My first Canon Digital Rebel XSi is in transit back to B&H for a refund, while my second XSi is also in transit, with an expected delivery date of May 8. Meanwhile, I just ordered a Tokina ATX 116 Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 for my currently non-existent Canon DSLR. It should get here about a week after the XSi, which means I should be able to test both together before either of their return periods elapse.

There are still a few accessories on my shopping list:

Three Sandisk Extreme III 8GB SDHC cards
I don't need this kind of capacity for everyday shooting, but, combined with my three 4GB cards, the total of 36GB, yielding roughly 2000-2200 RAW frames, should be adequate to last an entire vacation without resort to a laptop.

77mm Hoya HD Circular Polarizer
While I already have a 77mm Sunpak DHG Circular Polarizer, it degrades the image quality of my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS (strong lateral chromatic aberration, purple color cast) enough that I don't like to use it. The new Hoya HD, due out this month, at over twice the price ($201 at Filter Connection) is supposed to be the top of the line, with better light transmission, hardened glass, and a water-repellent coating. Plus, the new Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 also uses 77mm filters, so I have even more incentive to upgrade. So I think I'll give polarizers another shot.

Spare LP-E5 battery for XSi
I'm used to having a spare around for my DSLR, but since this battery is brand new, it's not easy to find third-party knockoffs. I may just wait until they show up, rather than drop $50 on a Canon original.

Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack
While I still plan to use my excellent Lowepro Nova 2 AW whenever possible, the new Tokina lens means it's time to get a larger camera bag. Having tried the Flipside 200 at Looking Glass Photo, I think the Flipside 300 can just fit all my camera gear, possibly with room leftover for my 12" Toshiba notebook. But I don't think that will be necessary. Rather, I need room for the Digital Rebel XSi, three mid-size lenses (EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, and ATX 11-16mm f/2.8), one smaller lens (one of: EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8, ATX 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5), a Canon 430EX Speedlite, Sto-fen Omnibounce, spare batteries, SD cards, two polarizers, bubble level, compact tripod (Slik Pro 614CF w/Acratech V2 Ballhead), 750ml water bottle, Fuji F100fd, and maybe a Panosaurus. Sounds like a lot, but it's more compact than it sounds, and the Flipside 300 looks up to the task. Not counting the backpack itself, that's about 6080g, or about three half-gallon cartons of milk, which is what I usually haul in my backpack coming back from Trader Joe's. Definitely doable, as long as the straps are comfortable.

Let's see, did I forget anything?

Labels:

Post a Comment

<< Home